Re: [O] [RFC] Fixing link encoding once and for all

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Fixing link encoding once and for all
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:24:26 +0000

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 10:49, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure how much freedom you have here, but I think it would be
> > both clearer - by avoiding confusion with URL-escaping - and easier to
> > type, to use an entirely different form of escaping in the Org syntax;
> > probably just this:
> >
> > \[ and \] to include a square bracket in a link
> > \\ to include a backslash
>
> Wouldn't that become problematic with file names in Windows?

Do you mean Windows file names in existing Org files?  I.e. the
back-compatibility concern?

If so, yes, I confess I didn't think at all about back-compatibility,
with my suggestion above.  So perhaps that rules my idea out.

If we were starting from scratch, however,
- I believe it would technically be fine; i.e. it's a complete and
unambiguous encoding
- it might be considered awkward for Windows users to have to write
c:\\system32\\mydoc.txt instead of c:\system32\mydoc.txt, but I don't
know how big a concern that would be.

Best wishes,
     Neil