[O] SOLUTION - Re: How to colorize text in square brackets?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: [O] SOLUTION - Re: How to colorize text in square brackets?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:05:30 +0000

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> How can I colorize text within square brackets please, like [fu] ?
>
> I need them colorized as they will hold reminders for myself at that position
> whilst I'm writing.

When I posted this question I knew that the answer would probably lie somewhere
within font-lock-add-keywords, but I was unable to find it until I started
googling for 'font-lock-keyword-face' which I was already using. This search
then lead me to these two pages [1] and [2].

And that lead to this code which achieves what I was trying to accomplish, the
text within the square boxes to be coloured totally different from its
surrounding text, meaning that now I can write my book and leave myself
reminders of various questions, which when I've found the answers can then be
deleted.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(font-lock-add-keywords 'org-mode
                        '(("\\[\\(.*\\)\\]"
                                 1 font-lock-type-face prepend)))
#+END_SRC

Thanks
Sharon.

[1] -
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7401787/emacs-mode-how-to-specify-that-thing-in-square-brackets-should-be-colored
[2] -
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Faces-for-Font-Lock.html
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.5, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.1.91, org 9.2.1