Re: [O] Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] Order of items after a headline in an Org outline?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 22:12:11 +0100

Hi David,

David Masterson <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a documented requirement of the order of things in a Org
> outline?

My understanding is that a lot of work in recent years has gone into
making Org's syntax more consistent, and this is an ongoing effort.  So,
sometimes things still work if they're not in the proper order, but I
wouldn't count on them remaining so.  Your best bet is just to use Org's
functions for inserting and modifying these things, e.g., org-schedule
to schedule something.

You might find this helpful:
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html

> For instance, do these things have to come directly after the
> headline and, if so, in what order?  Will Org get confused otherwise?

The correct order is:

> * SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
> * PROPERTY drawer

and then notes.  (Timestamps can occur anywhere within notes.)  e.g.:

* Sample Headline
  DEADLINE: <2019-02-11 Mon> SCHEDULED: <2019-02-10 Sun>
  :PROPERTIES:
  :FOO:      bar
  :END:

Here I am typing some notes, late in the evening on [2019-02-09 Sat]

Hope that helps!

--
Best,
Richard