[O] Mutually-exclusive Org tags still inherit each other

From: Tina Russell
Subject: [O] Mutually-exclusive Org tags still inherit each other
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 16:42:22 -0800

First of all, I want to say that I really appreciate Org Mode, I wouldn’t be using Emacs without it, and it’s where I spend the vast majority of my time in Emacs. Thank you all!

So, according to the Org documentation: “You can also group together tags that are mutually exclusive by using braces … Selecting a tag in a group of mutually exclusive tags will turn off any other tags from that group.

But, if I do this…

#+TAGS: { place(c) container(c) object(o) }

* Room :place:
** Box :container:
*** Toy :object:

…and then use (org-get-tags) on “Toy,” it reports that it has the tags “place”, “container”, and “object”, even though these tags are all defined to be mutually exclusive! This is a problem, since turning off tag inheritance (for a document or for specific tags) seems to be an all-or-nothing affair. That means if I wanted to do this:

* Room :place:
** Bookcase
** Dresser
** Desk
** Nightstand
** Closet
*** Box :container:
**** Toy :object:

…and then search for all headings with the tag “place,” either (with tag inheritance) everything, including “Box” and “Toy,” will be returned, or (without tag inheritance) only “Room” would be returned. (I could put a tag on every heading where I want it inherited, but that would both defeat the purpose of inheritance and make it difficult to manage large trees.)

I can’t find any solutions to this online, so I’m posting this here. I hope it can get fixed. Thank you!

—Tina