Re: MPS experiment successful

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: MPS experiment successful
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:48:00 +0300

On 17/04/2024 17:30, Gerd Möllmann wrote:
What MPS means for the overall speed of Emacs I find impossible to say.
MPS doesn't seem to be slow at all though, although some slowdown can be
expected in the client because of thread-safe allocations.

Example for a confusing fact that I noticed today:

Full build without MPS, -O0, checking

real    26:20.01
user    1:32:15.54
sys     3:20.74

Same build with debug MPS (-lmps-debug)

real    14:07.90
user    44:17.94
sys     3:15.99

That sounds pretty great, though.

One might have worried that a new GC would help exchange better (lower) latencies for lower throughput, but that doesn't seem to be the case.