Re: Choice of bug tracker

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Choice of bug tracker
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 15:37:36 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:53:26 +0000

> >> But isn't it discouraged in debbugs?
> > What if there was a hypothetical bug report that actually had a multiple
> > number of things to address, but was only being reported under the original
> > "bug" that the user reported on? That'd still be a good reason to be able
> > to discuss #bugnum, #bugnum-feature1, #bugnum-feature2 and so on. I'm
> > assuming that this is what debbugs is "discouraging"?
>
> Yup. It feels "illegal" to open side discussions out of debbugs email
> threads. Though, on the second thought, nothing should stop users from
> branching off the thread into emacs-devel while dropping debbugs
> address.

Discussing several separate issues in the same bug report is
discouraged because (a) it makes reference to the discussion
problematic in the commit log messages, and (b) it makes the
discussion larger and harder to follow, since people frequently mix
several issues in a single response.

So our conventions when using debbugs is to open a separate bug report
for each issue.