Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Danny Freeman
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 17:56:57 -0400

João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 10:15 PM Danny Freeman <danny@dfreeman.email> wrote:
>
>> I would once again like to ask, who is asking for this?
>
> Noone.  Noone asked that clojure stuff be forked or anything like that.

People are literally suggesting exactly this in the comments above.

> Just the core maintainers and the leader of the FSF project thought
> it would be good if the flagship FSF project Emacs had some clojure
> support under its umbrella, and invited your project to come on board.

I'm not taking any issue with this. I was more than happy to answer
questions about it at the start of this thread. If I were developing
this on my own I would probably accept that invitation, but I'm not.

> Many third-party projects that benefit from the incalculable amount
> of work put in by FSF's developers and volunteers who have signed CAs
> throughout almost 4 decades would find this invitation a privilege,
> maybe in recognition that united we stand, divided we fall.  But noone,
> absolutely noone, can force you or coerce you to accept the invitation
> or even stand in the way if you or Bozidhar want to pursue other
> paths.  And noone has done that.  So no need for persecutory delusions
> that the FSF secret police is going to extort CAs from your developers
> to fork and undermine your project.

The reason I wrote that is because in the message directly before mine
from Lynn:

>> Whether or not a derivative of clojure-mode is incorporated into core
>> emacs is not the same question as whether the external clojure-mode
>> project is subsumed into core emacs development.  Given RMS's request
>> to include a clojure mode as a core emacs feature, the required
>> development effort could be spent either maintaining a derivative of
>> the existing software/manuals/etc that complies with the emacs
>> development process or developing the tooling from scratch.   Assuming
>> such development resources can be identified, then, as I wrote, the
>> only real issue blocking the incorporation of (some derivative of)
>> that software is the copyright assignment question, assuming any
>> trademark-type issues on the names of the packages are resolved.

is suggesting that someone could take on the task of obtaining CAs and
forking. All I am asking is that NOT be done, not having "delusions".

> Remember that NonGNU Elpa was
> created by Emacs devs just to service projects like yours.  And your
> original request has been serviced already, free of charge.
>
> João

And I am very grateful my project was accepted into NonGNU Elpa. But now
I am trying to act in what I believe are the best interests of
clojure-mode by avoiding a fork.

--
Danny Freeman