Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 14:07:29 +0300

On 27/08/2023 07:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

IMNSHO, the above is an extremely optimistic and naïve view of the
actual state of matters.  Significantly, it emphasizes the advantages
of the proposed changes/alternatives and consistently and completely
ignores the disadvantages (which are known and were described and
discussed many times).

I'm not sure where I'm looking optimistic in the whole text.

But the important part is what was said many times in this and other
similar discussions: those who want these deep changes are invited to
step up and become Emacs (co)-maintainers, and then make the changes
and actually use them for Emacs development, instead of telling others
how to do their jobs.

If the cost is taking over entirely and dedicating 7+ hours every day to Emacs (as you said you do), this is obviously a prohibitive barrier. I don't think it's a reasonable ask when I'm just talking about using a real bug tracker, for example.

It is at least unfair to expect us to do our
job well, and then tell us how to do it and what tools to use for it.
And that is even before we recall that those alternative tools are
either semi-broken or lack important features (or both) that the
existing "obsolete" tools offer us basically for zero cost.

The existing tools "lack important features" to such a degree that it's not even funny. And the cost is not zero, the cost is the people that never set foot in our community.

And none
of the alternatives withstood the test of time and/or the magnitude of
the project.

Should we mention other big projects? GNOME? Firefox? Emacs is complex but not that unique.