Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 03:52:29 -0400

   "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

   > If you cannot see the difference between optimizing byte code, and
   > optimizing Lisp code, I'll find something else to do.

   I am talking about the end result (native code) we achieve after
   converting source Elisp into byte-code and then into native code. Not
   about the byte code.

The end result depends on what the Emacs Lisp compiler produces,
Native compilation will not figure out that using ASSQ is better when
calling ASSOC has fixnums in it (see byte-opt.el for example of the
required Lisp wrangling that is required -- and something that SBCL
does in a much larger scale).

That is the type of optimizations that matter more than JIT.