Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 05:28:18 +0200

> Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM
> From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>
> To: "Dmitry Gutov" <dmitry@gutov.dev>
> Cc: esr@thyrsus.com, luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core

> There are occasiona when it is useful, for added flexibility,
> to move some function from C to Lisp.  However, stability
> is an important goal for Emacs, so we should not even try
> to move large amounts of code to Lisp just for the sake
> of moving code to Lisp.
>
> The rate at whic we have added features already causes significant
> instability.

I concur.  Have been suggesting to have a basic version of emacs that would be
considered
complete and stable, while minimizing the risk of instability due to feature
additions.

Every project should have such aim and achieve it.  Clearly, the core
requirements must
be well defined, and the scope limited in terms of the essential features to
fulfill its
primary purpose.  Maintaining emacs for it to do everything could halt its
continued
development structure.  Especially if it cannot be reasonable handled by a few
people.