Re: Android port of Emacs (Termux, contact info, emacs in batch mode)

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs (Termux, contact info, emacs in batch mode)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:31:35 +0800

[I copied the list back in.]

Johan Widén <j.e.widen@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the combination of Android emacs and Termux. It seems to work
> very well. I have installed a couple of emacs starter kits and they work
> OK (once I turned off desktop-save-mode).

What's the problem with desktop-save-mode?

> I suggest that in the README file on sourceforge, you add information on
> how people should respond to things related to Android emacs:
> - Where to submit issues
> - Where and how to make pull requests
> - Where to hold a discussion about things related to Android emacs

That information is the same as with other versions of GNU Emacs:
bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org and emacs-devel or help-gnu-emacs.

> And also a wish from me: Several packages such as Doom emacs and
> pdf-tools, expect there to be an emacs executable that can be run in
> batch mode. It is important that this executable is as identical as
> possible to Android emacs. Would it be possible to provide such a thing
> in Android emacs?

Have you read the node `(emacs)Android Environment' in the Emacs manual?
It illustrates:

   The `/assets' directory containing Emacs start-up files is supposed
to be inaccessible to processes not directly created by `zygote', the
system service responsible for starting applications.  Since required
Lisp is found in the `/assets' directory, it would thus follow that it
is not possible for Emacs to start itself as a subprocess.  A special
binary named `libandroid-emacs.so' is provided with Emacs, and does its
best to start Emacs for the purpose of running Lisp in batch mode.
However, the approach it takes was devised by reading Android source
code, and is not sanctioned by the Android compatibility definition
documents, so your mileage may vary.

In general, the answers to most questions people ask about the Android
port already reside within the Emacs or Lisp reference manuals
distributed with the Android port.  I've always paid attention to
updating the documentation wherever necessary to reflect changes and
Android idiosyncrasies.

> Perhaps it could be a script that in turn executes the real Android
> emacs, but in batch mode. One would normally use such a thing by
> starting shell mode in emacs, and from there execute things that
> eventually invoke the batch mode emacs.

The solution shown above has existed from almost very beginning of the
Android port's existence; it does not work reliably though, due to
limitations placed on Emacs by the system's asset manager architecture.