Re: Moving point after character when clicking latter half of it

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Moving point after character when clicking latter half of it
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:47:36 +0300

> From: Moritz Maxeiner <mm@ucw.sh>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 21:58:44 +0200
>
> +@defvar mouse-prefer-closest-glyph

This is a user option, so please use @defopt, not @defvar.

Also, please use some smaller (preferably, default) value for
fill-column, as the text you posted uses too long lines.

> +If you set this variable to non-@code{nil}, whenever you click or drag the
> mouse,
> +instead of the point being always set in front of the clicked glyph, the
> point
> +horizontally closest to the mouse position will be used.
> +So if you click in the left half of a glyph, point is set in front of it,
> +but if you click in the right half, point is set after it.

There's too much of passive voice here.  I think the alternative
wording proposed by Po Lu is better.

> ++++
> +** New user option 'mouse-prefer-closest-glyph'.
> +When enabled, clicking or dragging with the mouse will put the point
> +in front of the glyph with the closest x coordinate to the mouse pointer.
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"to the click or start of the drag"

> +In other words, if the mouse pointer is in the right half of a glyph,
> +point will be put after that glyph, while if the mouse pointer is in the
> +left half of a glyph, point will be put in front of that glyph.

Point is buffer position, whereas "glyph" is something on display.  So
this should say something like "point will be put after the buffer
position corresponding to that glyph".

Also, please state explicitly that the default of this feature is OFF.

I understand that the details of the code are still under discussion,
but I thought I'd post these comments anyway.

Thanks.