edu-eu

Re: Education strategy

From: Christian Selig
Subject: Re: Education strategy
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:23:26 +0200

Hi there.

What we've got here are thoughts on migration.

We cannot force or even just request people to convert from proprietary to free software in one day. I'm very positive that most people will use more and more free software once they understand the idea and see its practical values (such as free distribution to pupils and community development) and step by step philosophical values.

I think that the education sector is too important that we can have splitted efforts. For example, I would invite KDE-Edu people to join us, as they have some very good pieces of free edu software.

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

Wine is important because it lets people continue using their old
(albeit non-free) software after switching to a free OS. It increases
the chances of them using free software in situations where there's one
or two apps they use that don't have a diect equivalent under *nix.

I understand the issue you are pointing at. What are these software

> teacher may still want/need to use under a GNU system?

We can promote a port or the writting of free equivalent for GNU but

> we need an accurate list.

Do you have some idea ?

That would be a good idea. Maybe we can collect some right on this list.

My one is:

Mediator is a proprietary presentation program ("multimedia", but please don't use that term - it's overused by the group of politicians who don't understand IT) that allows for much more than stupid slide mechanisms. I remember that KPresenter is heading a bit towards such a goal, but Mediator is hell easy to use, easier than any presentation or vector drawing program that I've ever seen. A free equivalent is badly missing.

Bye,
  Christian