[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Backup of a partition with compression

From: Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Backup of a partition with compression
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:11:51 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

From: Volker Kuhlmann <address@hidden>
> What actually happens? What commands did you use? Are you compressing
> the whole partition, or a tar file of the files of the partition?

Tar had issues on POSIX32 systems with files greater than 2GiB until verison
1.14.
But if one is streaming (piping to another program), they shouldn't run into
this.
It's only when Tar is writing to a file and handling the file I/O itself.

GZip also had issues on POSIX32 systems as well.
Can't remember which version they fixed it.
But same deal on the streaming -- only when it's handling file I/O itself.

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden