[Dvdrtools-users] growisofs: intermittent write errors

From: Colin Brace
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] growisofs: intermittent write errors
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:28:14 +0100

Hello all,

I have v5.21 of growisofs and v2.01 mkisofs installed on my Pentium IV system running Fedora Core 3 test 3. I run K3b v0.11.17 as the front end for these tools. I am using a Philips DVDR1604P DVD RW.

Alas, while burning data DVDs, I have been getting intermittent write errors (ie, sometimes but not always) part way through the process, which aborts it and renders the DVDs useless. Here is the debugging output:

growisofs
INFO: UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
 Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
 use -input-charset to override.
/dev/hdb: "Current Write Speed" is 8.2x1385KBps.
:-[ address@hidden failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=02h]: Input/output error
:-( write failed: Input/output error

Anyone have any idea where the problem could be?