Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem writing DVD-R (but only under Linux)

From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Problem writing DVD-R (but only under Linux)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:52:45 +0200

On Friday 25 June 2004 13:21, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Dump this program. Now. It's way obsolete and hasn't been maintained in a
> long time. The result is as you noticed.

Just because there hasn't been a new release in a while doesn't mean it's not
being maintained.

There has been no single major bug report for the latest release, which is why
a maintenance release wasn't necessary; there have been a couple of changes
in CVS though.
There are 2 reasons why there hasn't been a new release for a while:
1. It simply wasn't necessary, 0.1.4 does all it's supposed to do
2. We're working on a complete rewrite to get rid of all the legacy stuff
inherited from cdrtools. The rewrite is nowhere near release quality yet (so
far, all it can do is blank CD-RWs and DVD-RWs).

> You have basically two options for burning DVDs: use growisofs,

That's indeed an option - growisofs is a good application too

> or  cdrecord-prodvd.

cdrecord-prodvd is a blatant violation of the GPL and should be avoided.

LLaP
bero