Re: [Dvdrtools-users] pioneer 105 once more :)

From: A E Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] pioneer 105 once more :)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:32:51 +0100

gabor wrote:
> hi,

But do read and absorb the information at
http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multimedia/software/software_files.htm
which is not linux specific, but explains the various firmware versions and which media is supported. Roughly: older media is supported by older firmware, and newer media by the most recent firmware, and they are mutually exclusive.

Despite what is said, people have reported that it is possible to revert to earlier versions of the firmware. If you are getting a drive, one of the first things is to see what firmware is installed.

Here is an example:-

# cdrecord dev=pioneer -v -inq
Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 J?rg Schilling
Note: this version is an inofficial (modified) version and thus may have
bugs that are not present in the original. Please send any bug report or supportrequest to <address@hidden>. The original cdrecord author has not to be bothered with problem in this version
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Driveropts: 'burnproof'
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'PIONEER '
Identifikation : 'DVD-RW  DVR-105 '
Revision       : '1.00'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Then you will know which sort of media to buy, or whether you want to change the firmware.

There has been much confusion and disinformation about all this which a careful reading of the information on the site above will clarify.

I use very cheap Bulkpaq (=Princo=datawrite and more) media, both DVD-R x1 and DVD-RW x1 with the above firmware. No failures at all. But if I upgrade the firmware to version 1.3, the pioneer website suggests that this will no longer work: in exchange I will be able to use Bulkpaq x4 media more reliably. So I won't be upgrading unless I encounter problems with faster media and have used up my stock of the slower media.

Hope that helps,

ael