Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: DVD-R media speeds (Matthew Stephenson)

From: Matthew Stephenson
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: DVD-R media speeds (Matthew Stephenson)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:06:08 +0000

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:38:47 -0800 (PST)
address@hidden wrote:

> How do you change the recording speed?  I am unable to do it
> with dvdrecord.

I've had problems with this too with my A04 and dvdrecord. I was unable
to get verbatim media to write at 1x. I was also unable to get some
allegedly-2x-rated media from FWS to write at 1x. Using speed=1 in
dvdrecord was ignored.

I've since moved to datasafe riteks, and have no problems - they write
at 1x regardless of the speed= parameter.

I seem to remember cdrecord refusing to write certain media at slower
speeds in the past, again silently ignoring the speed= parameter. My
intuition, although I haven't looked at the code, says that this may be
a problem deeper in cdrecord, on which dvdrecord is based. Reports from
windows users indicate that windows software is able to write Verbatim
DVD-Rs at 1x or 2x.

Having looked at the cdrecord mailing list archives, it seems this issue
has been brought up with regard to CDs a number of times, and largely
ignored. After all, why would anyone want to write a CD at less than the
maximum possible speed!

I have little hope of this issue getting fixed in a hurry.

- Matthew