RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Newbie question

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Newbie question
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:29:53 -0400

I'd second all this. If you want to temporarily archive non-critical data, I
use DVD-RW to conserve a disc. But when I have enough data, I burn a straight
DVD-R.

> Now Gen3 DVD-RAM drives have 1x DVD-R(G) record capability,
> but it just isn't
> supported by DVDRTools.  I'm getting one in tomorrow, so I'll
> see if ProDVD works.

Pratul: If you were wondering, ProDVD is a commercial set of DVD recording
tools that writes to DVD. You can Google for it using "prodvd linux" keywords.

I get my DVD-R media dirt cheap, from newegg.com or supermediastore.com. I've
heard some people online complain about "coasters" from the cheap DVDPro brand,
but I've burned a lot without problems. I suspect the complaints were from
using these discs on older DVD Video players (which don't support DVD-R
anyways).

If you have video applications, DVD-R is the best, and it is important not to
try the "cheapest" brand first: no recordable will exactly match a manufactured
DVD in terms of reflectivity, etc... it's up to the player to support a range
of tolerances, and the media/brand plays a big part here. I have a 3 year old
Philips Video player that only likes the $1.20 Optidisk brand. The brand new
Samsung DVD I have plays *everything*.