RE: [Dvdrtools-users] [OT] Sony releases DRU-500A, universal DVD +/- RW

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] [OT] Sony releases DRU-500A, universal DVD +/- RW drive ...
Date: 22 Oct 2002 10:15:46 -0400

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 10:07, Scott Prive wrote:
> Watch for price drops... early this month, rebates and discounts had
> this Sony drive at $249 at Dell's website ( source: www.dealnews.com
> ).

Yeah, I'm waiting for it to come down closer to $200 in 3-6 months.

> I'm actually surprised Sony released this with 4X DVD-R, when they've
> been promoting DVD+R. Given their involvement with creating an
> unnecessary second, semi-incompatible format to compete with DVD-R, I
> expected them not to ship DVD-R with such a speed advantage.

It's funny, usually Sony plays games whereas Philips listens to
consumers.  Seems the opposite happened here?

PC OEMs like HP and Dell were just stupid, they listened to the S/P
rhetoric and bought into DVD+RW.  I love hearing my local LUGs complain
about not being able to get their DVD+RW drives to work reliably, or how
they cannot record even DVD+R (one even tried a DVD-R disc in Windows --
doh!).

> Anyone know if this drive works with dvdrtools? Maybe Sony will
> send Bero a test unit :-)

Doubt it, but Sony can change that easily.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA