Re: [Duplicity-talk] "full-if-older-than" not working?

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] "full-if-older-than" not working?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 22:01:09 -0400

Expanding the code to make it more readable is not always a bad thing.  I still remember the rule from PASCAL of not making a function longer than 1 screen height.  I have spent a LOT of time with C and some with C++, there are a lot of advocates for many languages.  Probably more languages I learned that are no longer used than in use.  (Algol 68 anyone?) At the moment I am looking more and more to Rust and/or Swift.  Given the number of cores on modern machines I really want to exploit concurrency.  Python as an interpretive (or even byte compiled) language can’t really take advantage of that.  I have done a lot of instrumentation in LabVIEW but that is very nice for parallel processing but somewhat of a niche language.

As for committees, the saying I remember is “A camel is a horse designed by a committee”, but the Heinlein quote is memorable as well.

I have enough issues patching Duplicity for the setup.py and actually using setup-tng.py for building and installing.  The fink package manager is fairly flexible but tends to redo things that are better done in pip.  Once you pick a package manager going around it always leads to conflicts.  I will see what happens with PyPA.

-Scott