[Duplicity-talk] Reducing local storage usage

From: Rinck Sonnenberg
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Reducing local storage usage
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 16:15:48 +0200

Hi!

I've been using duplicity for many years and still love it! Keep up the good work! :-)

On some of my servers, the local duplicity cache is starting to take up some serious space and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to reduce this?
I have run the remove-older-than command to clean up some disk space, but am running into an issue there:

Deleting complete signature chain Wed Apr 12 00:20:02 2023
Attempt of _do_delete Nr. 1 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the DeleteObject operation: Access Denied
Attempt of _do_delete Nr. 2 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the DeleteObject operation: Access Denied
Attempt of _do_delete Nr. 3 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the DeleteObject operation: Access Denied
Attempt of _do_delete Nr. 4 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the DeleteObject operation: Access Denied
Attempt of _do_delete Nr. 5 failed. ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the DeleteObject operation: Access Denied
.... etc

The access denied is a correct message from Amazon S3, since the backup user is not allowed to delete any files from the bucket. Instead, I use lifecycle rules on the bucket in combination with file prefixes to be able to delete older backups in S3 itself.

However, I would still like to be able to delete older local backups, without Duplicity attempting to delete the remote files as well. I've looked through the docs and manpage, but unless I missed something, it doesn't seem possible?

Is there a workaround I could use to accomplish this? Any help is very much appreciated!

Regards,
Rinck