drm-elimination-crew

Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Improve answer about watermarking?

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] Improve answer about watermarking?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:54:10 +0100

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:24:59 -0500
John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:

> I started drafting an answer on the DRM FAQ about watermarking. Anyone
> want to help make it better?
Another thing to do would be to know how digital watermarking is used,
when it's meant to replace DRM.

If we take Red Star OS[1], a watermark is supposedly[2] added on each
media files(videos, audio, documents, and so on) that is made
accessible to that distribution.

This doesn't have the same impact than a watermark added only once to
the media as in [3].

In either case, free software would be able to (legally) read such files
without adding any additional watermark.