drm-elimination-crew

Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] DRM in Portugal

From: Scott Elcomb
Subject: Re: [Drm-elimination-crew] DRM in Portugal
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:28:18 -0400

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Marcos Marado
<address@hidden> wrote:
> DRM keeps being legal, but breaking DRM starts being legal too.
> DRM as you know makes to technological sense (key and lock in the same
> hands), thus being so easy to break. Problem is that legally you can't break
> it. That seems to be about to change in Portugal.

A step forward; in Canada we recently updated our Copyright
legislation and despite thousands of public-consultation responses
decrying DRM, our government decided to include legal protections for
it.  Many of the best features of our new Copyright legislation are
completely overridden by DRM - for example, we can format-shift but
only if a) there's no DRM on the original, or b) the DRM permits
format-shifting.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about this, and will mention
Portugal's situation at the next meeting of the Pirate Party of
Canada.  (Tonight ;-)

Best regards,
--
  Scott Elcomb