[Pnet-developers] Re: [DotGNU] scratchbox with arm toolchain (gcc3.4)

From: Kirill Kononenko
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Re: [DotGNU] scratchbox with arm toolchain (gcc3.4)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:43:58 +0400

Hi Johannes,

The main goal of Scratchbox is to make embedded application
development easier but not to run applications. Indeed it provides
some support to run user applications. To illustrate, it uses either
QEMU or a real target hardware to execute cross-compiled binaries.
First, QEMU has two modes: a user space emulation and a system
emulator, i.e, the user space emulator works for the most simple
applications, but it does not work with 'ilrun'. On the other hand,
the system emulator mode is more advanced, because it simulates a ARM
machine. This mode has low speed-performance, however, it enables
applications to work on "low-level" and may work with 'ilrun'.

Alternatively, Scratchbox supports CPU transparency mode, that is, if
you get an extra ARM board running a Linux-kernel - you may setup
Scratchbox to use this ARM cpu via ssh access. This enables Scratchbox
to run applications on the native ARM cpu.

Alternatively, if you are going to get a ssh access to the ARM board
-- you may connect to the board via ssh and run applications within.
Many people consider this, the most easiest solution to run ARM
applications. For example, you may get an iPaq/Zaurus handheld for
this and setup Linux on it. It may sound complicated but it is not.

Kirill