Re: [Pnet-developers] Pnet (DotGNU) IDE

From: Radek Polak
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Pnet (DotGNU) IDE
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 06:20:02 +0200

Hi James,
I was playing some with Antlr - it looks really good. But I was also hacking whole week cscc and i found things that i needed. I learned how can i extract all type information either from source code or from compiled dll. I also found out how are local variable names and types attached to functions, so at this point i am ready to make quite good code completion processor. I am also ready to implement go-to-definition function - it looks quite easy.

I am now starting to write my own plugin for cscc. It will be simple text-mode IDE where you have command line and maybe simple text editor. You will be able to use command line like this:

> open sample.cs
ok

> add reference mscorlib.dll
ok

> goto line 19, pos 8
Console.

> show proposals
method Read
method ReadLine
method Write
method WriteLine
property Out

> find definition
mscorlib.dll

You will be able to attach to this simple-text-mode-IDE from external program - e.g. from Eclipse, Xacc or Emacs and then it should be easy to write e.g. code completion plugins. The would just send commands and display output. Support for Java and C should be quite easy later. I also hope this will be good test suite for cscc compiler.

When i have something nice done, i will make web page and let you know.

Radek

Radek,
Have you looked at Antlr or Coco/R? You should be able to get c# done with them. Presumably you want a java implementation? Suggest you look here: http://www.scifac.ru.ac.za/resourcekit/ I have the book, and have hacked Coco (at least the Java version) so it doesn't use globals - quite aneasy job. James