[Pnet-developers] Profiling under Linux

From: Marc Haisenko
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Profiling under Linux
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:53:42 +0100

Hi folks,
I'm currently not hunting SWF bugs but have been tasked with profiling the
Trumpf prototype and find the performance problems we're currently seeing.
Profiling under Windows is no problem, but I have to profile under Linux as
well.

My question is: what's the best way to profile a .NET application with
dotGNU ? Is there a profiler that will run on dotGNU ? I guess "nprof" won't
as it installs a DLL first.

If there is no profiler, do you have other ideas how I could profile our
application or dotGNU's SWF implementation ? I've thought about writing a
small function in native C code and P/Invoke it to measure time between
certain manually set checkpoints, but obviously I'd like to use a tested
method (and not use up that much time that would be needed to get useful
numbers out of my approach).

C'ya,
        Marc

--