Re: [Pnet-developers] Handling Windows-isms in a CLI API

From: Marcus
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Handling Windows-isms in a CLI API
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:32:52 -0600

BinPath is the path to MSBuild.exe and the related files. It appears to the
the single directory that contains MSBuild.exe and the related DLLs like
Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll. On my system, BinPath is "C:
\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607".

I just envision that some IDE or devel tool that uses MSBuild's DLLs will find
the location of MSBuild.exe and set BinPath to the directory that contains
the MSBuild executable and friends. It appears that when creating an instance
of the MS build engine, it is now required to specify the BinPath.

Originally, none of the MSBuild assemblies were going to be installed in the
GAC. As of MSBuild Beta1, that's all changed, and assemblies are installed
there. The reason for requiring that BinPath now is that the Engine class
needs to know where the appropriate version of things like
Microsoft.CSharp.targets are located. Before, when the assemblies were not
installed into the GAC, Engine could use reflection to look up the directory
its containing assembly, Microsoft.Build.Engine.dll. Since the assemblies are
now installed into the GAC, reflection will give the path to the GAC and not
to the install directory.