[Pnet-developers] [bugs #8992] cscc does not find assemblies for 1.1 fra

From: Gopal.V
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bugs #8992] cscc does not find assemblies for 1.1 framework

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: DotGNU Portable.NET.

[bugs #8992] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Gopal.V <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Tue 05/18/04 at 08:22 (Asia/Calcutta)

The framework1.1 versions of the library are not installed
as the default versions of the System or mscorlib dlls .
The build target in which case will not co-exist with the
full profile build.

Please decide on whether installing a 1.1 version as the
default version in the build is possible or not ?.

[bugs #8992] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: DotGNU Portable.NET
Submitted by: Marcus Urban
On: Tue 05/18/04 at 05:20

Category:  None
Severity:  5 - Average
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  None
Assigned to:  None

Original Submission:  When pnetlib is built using --with-profile=framework1.1,
cscc is unable to find the System.dll and possibly other assemblies at compile
time. The runtime is able to find them, however. I have also used ilgac to
confirm that the assemblies are in the GAC.

To reveal the problem, it may necessary to remove $PREFIX/lib/cscc/lib to
exclude the possibility that cscc will find the other versions of System.dll
(i.e. 1.2). Then build and install pnetlib using ./configure
--with-profile=framework1.1.

Compiling anything that causes System.dll to be referenced, such as cscc
-r:System whateverprogram.cs should cause an error message like "System: No
such library".

However, explicitly setting the path using -L (to the 1.1 version installed) or
using -r: with a complete pathname avoids the problem.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Tue 05/18/04 at 05:59         By: mathpup
This might not really be a bug, per se, but it is confusing. When ./configure
--with-profile=NAME is used, that profile is not made the default profile.
Instead whether or not the profile is to be made the default is specified in
profiles/NAME.

So when I started with no libraries for Pnet installed, and then I built as
indicated above, I ended up with the 1.1 libraries installed, but they were not
set as the default. There were no default libs. So cscc failed to find them.

An alternative to hacking the profiles descriptions would be nice. One
suggestion would be to add the ./configure option --with-default-profile=NAME,
which would not only cause the profile NAME to be used, but also caused the
resulting libs to be installed as the defaults.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=8992>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/