[Pnet-developers] Changes to Xsharp's font system

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Changes to Xsharp's font system
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:37:23 +1000

Hi all,

I've made a lot of changes to Xsharp's font rendering system in CVS during the
last few days.  The aim was to improve measuring and drawing performance by
using XFontStruct's rather than XFontSet's where practical (e.g. for Latin1
locales).  It will also be a lot easier to plug in alternate font rendering
systems in the future.

For those of you who have had font performance issues in the past, could you
please re-test and let me know whether this helps or not.  I don't see the
same performance problems locally, so it is difficult for me to determine if
my fixes are helping or not.

There is still a lot more that can be done in both Xsharp and System.Drawing.
Neil and I aren't finished optimizing yet, but it is coming along nicely.

A clean rebuild of pnet and pnetlib will be needed to get the changes.  i.e.
"make distclean; ./auto_gen.sh; ./configure; make".

Cheers,

Rhys.