[Pnet-developers] pnetlib profiles and such

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [Pnet-developers] pnetlib profiles and such
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:19:31 +1000

Hi all!

We had a brainstorming session on #dotgnu tonight about 1.1 vs 1.2 build
profiles, and here's what I suggest, unless anyone else has a better idea.

The default "full" profile will build the "bleeding edge version", currently
1.2, and I'll add a "framework1.1" profile for building the original version.

As for feature names, we should continue with the policy of making up a
reasonable feature-based name.  e.g. "CONFIG_EXTENDED_CONSOLE",
"CONFIG_GENERICS", "CONFIG_WEB_BROWSER", etc.  This makes it easier to create
stripped-down embedded profiles that contain some features but not all.

For things that don't easily fall into a broad category (e.g. minor mods to
existing classes), use "CONFIG_FRAMEWORK_1_2".  If in doubt as to what label
to use, just ask me.

While we could go back and retroactively create a "CONFIG_FRAMEWORK_1_1" for
1.0 vs 1.1, I think we'll just declare 1.1 as the base version and work
forward from there.  1.0 apps will generally run fine against a 1.1 library
and most .NET developers have already upgraded.

A related issue, that is still to be decided, is how to build and install 1.1
and 1.2 at the same time (i.e. multiple versions from the one make).

If there are no objections, I'll schedule the necessary profile modifications
for the next few days.  Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Rhys.