[Pnet-developers] Seg fault with sockets

From: Clint Heyer
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Seg fault with sockets
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:07:53 +0200

Hi,
 I have a C# program that does a lot of multithreaded socket I/O,
which seg faults after a short period. The program is essentially a
bulk HTTP downloader. This is with the the CVS version.

Thanks to Rich333 on IRC, I tried running it via GDB. The program
seems to crash much earlier in execution, perhaps for a different
reason, anyhow I've attached a log of the stack trace.

I was wondering if there is more I can do to diagnose the problem. It
runs fine under MS's environment.

Additionally, when trying to download these URLs, SocketExceptions are
thrown for various reasons, but one cannot tell the why without
examining the stack. For example:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: There was an error in the system
        at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint) in
./Net/Sockets/Socket.cs:705
        at System.Net.HttpStream.OpenSocket(HttpWebRequest) in
./Net/HttpWebRequest.cs:754

or
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An error occured while accessing
the socket
        at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName(String) in ./Net/Dns.cs:235
        at System.Net.Dns.Resolve(String) in ./Net/Dns.cs:252
        at System.Net.HttpStream.OpenSocket(HttpWebRequest) in
./Net/HttpWebRequest.cs:743

In both cases the NativeErrorCode and ErrorCode properties of the
SocketException are 0, not very helpful in writing exception handlers.
Any clues as to under what conditions the 'error in the system'
exception occurs? Is it a problem with pnet or my Linux install that
it can't handle lots of simultaneous socket connections?

thanks,
 .clint
 www: http://www.TheStaticVoid.net