[Pnet-developers] Getting method slots for classes

From: Gopal V
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Getting method slots for classes
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:07:09 +0530

Hello All,
        Suppose I want to lookup a particular virtual method in a class .
And I don't just need the newslot declaration (cscc gets away with
callvirt orginal virtual method) , I need the latest override in the
class heirarchy.

I'll explain where I need this ... in Type.GetMethod() which is
currently giving multiple entries of the same method , but if I
filter out virtual overrides , I get the wrong method to invoke !

The runtime while invocations gets away with it as it needs only
1 method and can exit as soon as it discovers one ... but in this
case I need to report ambiguity if any later on into the hierarchy.

Other than filtering the final list using inheritance precedence
and ILOverride stuff there seems no way out now ?. But since these
things are supposed to be slotted in the bytecode or something , I
sort of thought if the method slot number can be obtained ?.

ie while traversing down , ignore members which had the same slot
number as the list ...

The best case scenario will be a real life array which I can traverse
and pick up the members by offset ... (this could be generated at class
load time) ..

Any comments ?

Gopal