[DotGNU]Debian packages

From: Russell Stuart
Subject: [DotGNU]Debian packages
Date: 03 Sep 2004 12:08:05 +1000

This email is directed at Rhys, but I am putting it on the
list so everyone knows what is going on.

Rhys,

You may recall I sent this email to pnet-developers:
  http://dotgnu.org/pipermail/pnet-developers/2004-July/001481.html
I didn't get any replies.

Well, I proceeded as planned and now have Debian packages for all
of PNet.  Well, pnet, pnetlib, pnetC and treecc anyway.  I would of
included ml-pnet, but it doesn't appear to compile and pnetcurses -
but there are no man page entries so it isn't useful without the
source.  They pass all of the automated Debian checks (lintian /
pbuilder).  I am currently trying to get them uploaded to Debian.
I fear I am too late for sarge - but we will see.  You can find
the packages here:
  http://www.lubemobile.com.au/debian/

Now to the problem.  When I started I knew Andrew Mitchell
had done some previous work on this.  I thought he had lost
interest about 18 months ago, but nonetheless that I cc'ed
him on the above email.  I have now discovered that he is
maintaining one package: treecc.  The last update to treecc
in the Debian repositories is Mar 2004, so its one version
out of date.  I wanted a modern version of treecc given my
past clashes with it, so I updated that as well.

Having done the work, I should now commit it to CVS.
But that means I will overwrite Andrew's contributions.  I
am hesitant to do this, principally because as he is still
actively maintaining the treecc Debian package.  The last
commit he did to CVS for treecc seems to be on 23/Nov/2002,
so he must be maintaining a private copy somewhere.  If he
had responded to my previous email I would of resolved
the issue with him.  But he didn't, so I am wondering
what I should do.

The other problem is that there are directories in the released
.tar.gz's that should not be there - eg:
   pnet-0.6.8.tar.gz/debian/pnet
which can play havoc with the Debian build process.  Will they
disappear in the next release if I remove all the files under
them?

--
Russell Stuart