[DotGNU]Winforms native look and feel theming

From: Simon Guindon
Subject: [DotGNU]Winforms native look and feel theming
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:19:32 -0400

Hey all, I've kept this a bit quiet lately outside of the IRC channel but today myself and Robin42 have made some good progress so I thought I would give the mailing list a little taste of whats to come.

Basically we are working on Qt theming of System.Windows.Forms with Rhys's elegant design of the ThemePainter abstraction of ControlPaint.  Theres a bit of a code access issue with System.Windows.Forms having access to Xsharp, but with the help from Rhys I'm bypassing that temporarily.

Qt has some very nice painting methods that are in my eyes somewhat similiar to how winforms paints things, so it allows us to use the two quite well.  Robin42's code is well done as well because I'm not a c/c++ guru nor am I a Qt guru but I'm able to extend his code to handle more widgets.

This is truly a testament to Rhys's System.Windows.Forms design that I was able to do this so easily once I got past a major road block.  So far I have basic textbox, button, checkbox and radio button rendering today.  I'm very happy with the results.  There are some drawing issues here and there, but for the most part its looking very slick!

Here is how my KDE style (plastik) looks with what we have so far:

http://216.58.40.193/qtwinforms2.jpg

Take care,
Simon