Re: [DotGNU]Threading work-around for RH 9

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Threading work-around for RH 9
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:32:17 +1000

On Sunday 04 April 2004 11:13 am, Marcus wrote:

> # export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
>
> the system will use the LinuxThreads (pthread) environment instead of NPTL.
> This seems to provide a work around until the real problems with NPTL are
> fixed.

Thanks for investigating this Marcus.  It's good to know that there is a
workaround for the time being, at least.

> The article also discusses migrating to NPTL, which might be useful for
> implementing a true fix.

The "Updating Applications for NPTL" section mentions changes to mutexes and
signals, which we use, but is light on details as to what the app needs to do
to compensate.  But it is a start at least.