Re: [DotGNU]binary reader

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]binary reader
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:10:00 +1000

On Friday 20 February 2004 01:36 am, Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:

> instead of long investigation why an application causes
> NullReferenceException which says nothing and occurs in the wrong place.

And then we get other users complaining that "pnet crashes".  Both returning
null and throwing an exception are difficult to track down.  i.e. same
problem, but a different symptom.

> Could you manage to change this.

It's my personal coding style to return a semi-reasonable value and mark it
with TODO rather than crash the system dead.  There are hundreds of these in
the code and it would be a waste of time to change them all.  Blindly
changing them also runs the risk of breaking something that does expect to
see a semi-reasonable return value if the function isn't supported.

> Is there a chance it will be implemented

Eventually.  Or sooner if someone like yourself would volunteer to fix it.  I
can't do everything myself.