Re: [DotGNU]cscc-c compiled with cscc-c

From: Ilyak Kasnacheev
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]cscc-c compiled with cscc-c
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:02:04 +0300

> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 12:48 am, Ilyak wrote:
> > Is someone interested in possibility of compiling cscc-c (and later, the
> > whole pnet compiler and support program suite) with cscc-c to CIL?
> > I have tried to do that, like:
> It will be a long time before that is possible.  Lots and lots of work is
> needed in the compiler and pnetC libraries.  Volunteers needed. :-)
Well, it compiles already, so we can consider, that:
cscc-c takes almost any valid C file as input and generate something like, but
not similar, to CIL...

by the way, mono said:
/pnet% mono cscc-c.exe                                                    0:47

** (cscc-c.exe:2762): WARNING **: field load from 0

** ERROR **: [Invalid UTF-8] pending init U┴ЕS┐ЛХ≥(.h8

aborting...
zsh: killed     mono cscc-c.exe

And as i already told, :
~/pnet% ./cscc-c.exe                                                      1:01
token 0x0A000040: member `System.UInt64.ToString' not found
token 0x0A000041: member `System.Int64.FromString' not found
./cscc-c.exe: unresolved external references

> It is possible, but I'm not really sure why you'd want to do it other than
> as a torture test of the compiler's capabilities.
1) Because it is cool.
2) Because cscc will become self-bootstraping.
3) Because we can even reuse it if we will add some CLI-to-C/IL glue.
It might be fast, i guess.

>  Why compile it to IL and
> run it slowly on top of a CLR, when you could compile it direct to native
> code with gcc and run it fast?
For example, i like the idea of compiling everything this to CIL, packaging
with needed libs and giving out as smth like "GNU tools for .Net" to some
windows users familliar to MS.Net, cygwin and mingw...