Re: [DotGNU]Endianness?

From: Fergus Henderson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Endianness?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:55:02 +1100

On 10-Nov-2003, Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 09 November 2003 08:23 pm, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> > If the latter, why would you consider it bad for a C/C++ compiler
> > to generate code whose behaviour may depend on the enddianess of the
> > target system?
>
> If the resulting binary won't run on multiple platforms, it kind of defeats
> the purpose of having a cross-platform bytecode format, no?

That depends on whether the problem is due to non-portable C code,
or due to the C compiler.  If the former, then no, it doesn't defeat
the purpose.

> if I write portable C, using all the usual conventions for avoiding
> platform-specific behaviour, the resulting IL should run everywhere.
> But with Microsoft's compiler, it won't.

Ah, I see.  That is indeed a serious bug.

(Have you reported this to Microsoft?)

--
Fergus Henderson <address@hidden>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit