Re: [DotGNU]mbedded systems and Portable.NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]mbedded systems and Portable.NET
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:42:51 +1000

On Thursday 19 June 2003 09:57 am, address@hidden wrote:

> I would like to know what are the basic requirements of an embedded system
> to allow Portable.NET to be ported.
>
> Mostly I need to know if MMU and a 32-bit memory model are requiered. How
> hard it would be to modify Portable.NET to not requiere this
> characteristics?

A 32-bit system is pretty much a necessity.  It may be possible to get the
engine working on a 16-bit processor, as long as it can create and use
executables greater than 64k in size.

An MMU is desirable, but not necessary.  If the embedded OS has the ability to
allocate large chunks of contiguous memory, which are fixed in place once
allocated, then it should be OK.

Operating systems with moveable memory regions that must be explicitly locked
to access them will probably never work with pnet though.  In that case, get
a real OS. :-)