Re: [DotGNU]tough bug in System.Xml (or Stream) with Jabber.net

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]tough bug in System.Xml (or Stream) with Jabber.net
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:19:45 +1000

On Friday 16 May 2003 08:34 am, Gopal V wrote:

> The entire point of the discussion is ... buffered reader cannot
> operate on the assumption that it will have data available for
> each Read() .. Which means sawEOF is not nearly enough to stop
> the buffer fill & reading operations.

Is this really a problem with the stream buffering, or in the Xml reader?  If
the Xml reader "reads ahead" to fetch the next character before it needs it,
then the thread will block.  It has to.  The XmlStreamReader code looks
correct to me - it will fill (or partially fill) the buffer from the stream
only when it is asked to do so by the caller.

If the Xml reader is careful not to read a character before it is ready to
process the tag, then it should be OK.  I'm not too familiar with how
read-ahead works in the Xml reader these days, but I'd suggest starting
there.