[DotGNU]Will unrolling an instruction slow down execution ?

From: Gopal V
Subject: [DotGNU]Will unrolling an instruction slow down execution ?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 05:27:09 +0530

Hi,
        I just wrote a program to generate a list of the opcodes which
are not unrolled during the engine ... I found the existence of
CKNULL and CKNULL_N in that list curious . These two I supposed were
the easiest stuff to unroll . So I started out with the CKNULL opcode
and did it ..

        But to my surprise , the pnetmark stats show that the engine
had a slight slow down when the CKNULL was unrolled ?. With an old
rating of 1584 and a new one of 1552. I think perhaps Pnetmark
should include a method test for virtual methods (caffeine mark saw
no need for this as Java has it virtual by default)..

I've attached the patch to the engine for this ... but am not committing
it due to this curious reversal ...

Gopal