Re: [DotGNU]New member

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]New member
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:48:58 +0530

If memory serves me right, Ben wrote:
> Hi Everyone.  I've just joined this list.  Seems like you guys are doing a
> good job... Im going to start looking at the code and hopefully get
> involved at some point.

cool .. would that be the libraries ?... (or the compiler/runtime ?).

> One question, how do database technologies come into something like this?

These days you can't sell any enterprise API without database access :-)

> interested in database & xml technologies so this is something I'd like to
> work on.

Right now XML is a high priority work ... I think minddog (Adam Ballai)
would appreciate help in large quantities as well as Simon Guindon from
Jabber.net who is looking forward to being able to Jabber from dotgnu.

I think this is your niche if you like XML ...

> Also, is anyone working on maintaining documentation?

Nope ... because the ECMA stuff is already documented and at
http://dotgnu.org/pnetlib-doc/

> What about database API's in the class libraries... Anyone thought how
> these might be built?

Not me :) ... I don't have any idea how ADO works or how ADO.Net is going
to be implemented. Which makes you a lot more important if you can manage
that part ... hehe ...

> One thing from my first experiences.  It would be nice if there was more
> of a centralised place for dotgnu information.  e.g. If there was one CVS
> repository, one place to download binaries, docs and source.

Placing the projects under a single umbrella is unacceptable to most
project leaders . For example phpgroupware is a member of DotGNU , but
is developing it's webservice platform quite independently of the
effort on Portable.net etc.. We will converge at a future date , this
seperation also ensures protection of the other projects from situations
like the latest Patent issue.

> Someone suggested a centralised developer list.

this is that list :-)

> user as well as a developer, I'd also like to see higher level overviews
> of how the sub projects fit together.  Just my 2p.
>
> Any info appreciated,

If you could help with writing stuff for this ... I manage the front page
news for the dotgnu website , entries to the website & FAQ will be
accepted via me . Let me repeat , coding is not the only contribution
you can make.

Tell the list about any problems while building/running/ or testing
any component of DotGNU. It's prolly the easiest way to get help on
something :-)

Gopal