Re: [DotGNU]another bug in pnet

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]another bug in pnet
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:24:12 +0530

If memory serves me right, Paolo Molaro wrote:
> using System;
>
> struct QNull {
>         public override string ToString () {
>                 return "Qnull";
>         }
>         static void Main () {
>                 QNull qn = new QNull ();
>                 Console.WriteLine ("got '{0}'", qn);
>         }
> };

I compiled the above code with CSCC on my devel install and from the look
of it .. mono does accept the output .. I poked around and found this ...

2002-11-26  Rhys Weatherley  <address@hidden>

        * codegen/cg_decls.tc (ILNode_ClassDefn): output a ".size 1"
        declaration in empty "struct" types to match C# requirements
        that a value type can never be zero-sized.

Which fixed some of the issues with running the CSCC compiled binaries
from shared folders .... (someone reported a bug with running those out
of samba shares in Win2k).

> I compiled it with cscc from a few weeks ago (cvs pnet doesn't compile,
> missing numformat.c file).

auto_gen.sh please ...

> Since programs compiled with cscc don't run with the MS runtime,

Last time someone checked , they did ... Rhys has been all over the
MS generated binaries with a hex editor and comparing to the ECMA partition
II...  I think it was manyoso who confirmed that the output binaries did
work on MS .NET...

> I assumes it internally corrects the issue and sets the size to 1 (we'll do
> something like that in mono).

IIRC, this was reported just after the release of 0.4.8 and is fixed in CVS.
Also the latest 0.5.0 version of Portable.net does have a fix for this ...

I think this bug needs more thought ... hmm..

Gopal