Re: [DotGNU]System.Xml

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]System.Xml
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:38:40 +0530

If memory serves me right, Simon Guindon wrote:
> XmlDocument.LoadXml uses XmlTextReader to load structure into XmlDocument.

IIRC XmlTextReader is a constant memory read method (or that's the way
I think it works...)

So LoadXml should do the appending with XmlTextReader doing the reading
stuff ...

> My initial thoughts were that XmlTextReader ONLY did parsing of the text,
> and the DOM creation happened in XmlDocument, but used XmlTextReader to
> parse.

This seems to be the behaviour required ...

Btw, while looking over minddog's initial stuff ... I noticed an enormous
nesting of if/else and switch statement ... It's getting a bit too confusing
for me to debug or hack ... Could we do like a predictive parser like thing ?

switch(lookAhead)
{
case '<':
        ReadChar();
        ReadTag();
}

I'm not asking for a refactoring or anything like that ... but I am just
talking from the angle of a maintanence programmer ...

Gopal