Re: [DotGNU]compilation error on using namespace

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]compilation error on using namespace
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 08:56:27 +0530

If memory serves me right, Jonathan P Springer wrote:
> 1)  Variable.Member
> 2)  Type.Member
> 3)  Namespace.Type.Member

Namespace.Namespace.Type.Type.Member.Member ?

> Unfortunately, as Rhys noted privately and I will confess to publically,
> it turned into stringy pasta.

Well he has acknowledged that we need some sort of probing lookups and
that we were missing some way to do this cleanly...

> 2)  "Quantum" semantic analysis - Analyze the left-hand-side of each '.'
> for all three possibilities and store the results of all of the semantic
> analysis in the node.

See my bug report about the static references in Savannah ... where
A is a type and a class member ... We have to backtrack from the
member access to type access when the former fails ... So we have a
conditional case there with both the lhs and rhs ...

> The downside is some unnecessary processing, but I come from the
> "code (cleanly) first, tune later" school of thought.

I'm focussing right on unavoidable bugs right now ... stuff which cannot
be disambiguated or anything like that ... This ambigous referencing is
not what I call good language design ... But will just have to do it
anyway ...

> it some more after I finish Floating Point parsing :-/.

:-)

Gopal