Re: [DotGNU]The DotGNU System

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The DotGNU System
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:30:44 +0100

Hi folks,

here is a new version of my DotGNU System diagram, the big change is the DGEE
API component.

  1            A                          B                          C
 --> +--------------------+  2  +-------------------+  3  +--------------------+
     |   Network Server   | --> |  Service Manager  | <-> |  Resource Manager  |
 <-- +--------------------+     +-------------------+     +--------------------+
  8            ^                      |     5                        ^
             7 |     /--------------- | -----------------------------/
               |     V                |
     +--------------------+     4     |                   +--------------------+
     |      DGEE API      |<----------/                   |     Authorizer     |
     +--------------------+                               +--------------------+
         ^   E ^ 6   ^                                           ^   E   ^
     9   |     |     |                    8                      |       |  10
 <-------/     | 11  \-------------------------------------------/       \----->
     +--------------------+
     |   Virtual Machine  |
     +--------------------+

E is the DotGNU Execution Enviroment API. It provides easy access to the other
parts of the DotGNU System. The version in the diagram is actually a bit simple,
the DGEE API looks more like this:

|                                  C DGEE API                                  |
        |                   |                    |                    |
+---------------+  +-----------------+  +-----------------+  +-----------------+
|  C# DGEE API  |  |  Ruby DGEE API  |  |  Perl DGEE API  |  |  some DGEE API  |
|     C# VM     |  |     Ruby VM     |  |     Perl VM     |  |     some VM     |

The C DGEE API communicates with the rest of the system, the individual language
API's simply interface to the C API.

Greetings,

Peter