Re: Virtual Machine in the abstract (was Re: [DotGNU]What languages shou

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: Virtual Machine in the abstract (was Re: [DotGNU]What languages should DotGNU support?)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:53:33 +0530

If memory serves me right, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> AFAIK pnetC and other C/C++ compilers for .NET (lcc, MSVC) all generate
> unverifiable IL code, in general.  So they don't provide any security
> guarantees.

Unsafe , not unverifiable ... Unsafe code can mess up memory, and segfault
like any other C code .. If you use C/C++ , you already got a gun locked
on to your foot ... :-)

All the security guarantees it can provide as the usual provided by any
VM .. blocking native calls, checking for permissions to a library , and
isolated file storage ..

Gopal