Re: [DotGNU]Official statement of Philosophy (DotGNU Manifesto)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Official statement of Philosophy (DotGNU Manifesto)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 07:56:00 -0700 (PDT)

I have a couple points that we should all think about when working on
the manifesto :

One of the things that I would like to see addressed in some form of
way if it is not yet is the idea of having the sources with all the
binaries.
on the windows porting of tools, an bad practice has slipped in where
people are basing new modules on the DLLS and libs of others.

The GPL states that all the sources should be delivered with the
binaries in the same place.

This practice has lead to the problem that it is very diffcult to get
all the bits and peices that are needed to recompile an entire
application because you have to got to many sites ane peice them
togeather.

When we get to the world if IL exectables, this could get serious,
where is will be easy to use an IL, even without the sources code. This
makes it easier to use but people could get into the habit on not
distributing the source code, and undermine the principle of free
source.

Peter Wrote :
> * Statement of commitment of DotGNU to work together with other free
> software and open source projects.

On that note, I would like to make sure we dont exclude some projects
(like mine) just on the basis of some irrational fears. There should be
a clear set of guidelines as to what projects are acceptable and not.

Peter Wrote :
> * The Manifesto should IMHO start by reminding people what freedom
> means,
> it's too easy to read about freedom without understanding (and
> feeling) it
> and if you can't understand the true complete meaning of the word
> freedom you
> can't understand the true importance of Free Software. One way to
> tackle this
> is to start the manifesto with a summary of the freedoms in a
> democracy, then
> we could pick out the freedoms that are directly threatened by .NET
> and co.

Also we could talk about the freedom of being able to make changes to
all parts of the system and having source code to do that.

As my introspector project comes along, it will need to have access to
make changes to many parts of the dotgnu system to work properly.

I can only imagine that someone will be going against this principles
of freedom and free software in an attempt to stop or discourage me, we
should get the ground rules set now as to prevent future conflicts.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/