Re: [DotGNU]Identity

From: Mario D. Santana
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Identity
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 14:38:56 -0500

Right now, the agents are implemented as cgi (to the extent that they're
complete.) But there's no reason not to implement them any way that's
useful. Each piece of macs is more an idea than an implementation. The
pieces are so small that implementing one or several is pretty simple. I
see this as macs' greatest strength, and it's already proved its
flexibility in several unexpected ways.

The servers are just servers -- you point the clients at them. I've not
thought too much about commercial hosting but I don't see why it couldn't
be done that way.

As far as distribution, there are hooks in the servers for running
multiple instances of the servers for load balancing. After trying for a
while, I'm concentrating on other things. It's a hard problem and would
really prefer to use an existing solution. I've glanced at Erlang, but am
waiting for pnet to become usable enough to develop with.

I think macs would be a great alternative in the "horse-race" of auth
schemes for DotGNU. But even if it's not used internally *by* DotGNU, I
think macs could benefit from being implemented as DotGNU services.

For the record, development on macs is moving slowly as it's kind of a
one-man operation at the moment and I'm doing a lot of work on the
business side, pitching installation/maintenance/support for macs in the
enterprise.

Cheers!

mds